Monday, August 2, 2010

Coe's Creative Commons

I chose to explore Creative Commons by typing in Coe College and seeing what popped up. SpinXpress had the most diverse results with a bunch of photos and a few videos. However, one thing allows Creative Commons to work well and it's something we learned early on in this 13 things adventure: tagging. While I consider myself to have above average ability to filter out search results online I realize that tagging helps me even more. The fact that so much can be tagged makes ideas like Creative Commons (CC) possible and accessible to everyone.

For that reason, I think students could find tons of good and reliable information and resources through a site like CC. I know in graduate school I frequently ran into copyright issues and if CC would have been available I could have saved a few hours.

On a larger scale, I think the lessons/philosophies that CC uses are worth exploring. The ability to share, within reason, and with certain limits blends trust and respect. I think we could all use a little more trust and respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment