Friday, August 6, 2010

Reading is Fun

This 13 Things project has been a lot of fun especially because I have rediscovered some of the tools I once used or briefly used in the past. Google Reader is one of them. I remember adding feeds many years ago, using it for about a week, then going back to checking the individual sites. I think I have continued to visit sites because I like the pictures and context in which information is presented. I can see how it's nice to use feeds to put together your own virtual newspaper with all the information you want automatically updated for you. I tend to favor convenience over time spent but for some reason I still like to click on websites.

As a student, I think the time saved and convenience of feeds would be very appealing. In today's "headline world" (as I like to call it, focusing on attention getting headlines, sometimes at the cost of the story) stories can easily be passed over so being able to push out stories automatically and as they happen can help get some coverage. Knowing that many students get their news via their phones, I think feeds work well on a small screen and give them the option of reading more if they are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment