Monday, July 26, 2010

My Goodreads

I was invited by a friend to join Goodreads (username: hickstr@gmail.com) a few years ago so we could share books we enjoyed and recommend others. I think I logged in twice. Luckily, I still had my membership confirmation email that gave me my username. I like the idea of these book sharing sites but due to the low priority I put on reading I rarely move through books fast enough to warrant an online sharing service. I do, however, keep a list of books I would like to read in Google tasks. As I mentioned one sentence prior, this list seems to grow much faster than I can check books off of it.

I do like the ability to see what others are reading and how what I have read can create other suggestions. In an educational setting, the one part that I really like is how suggestions are aggregated and given by the site instead of an instructor or mentor. I think this allows for a little more exploration and self-directed learning. Multiple reviews also help readers find out if certain books have the content they desire and what sections are/n't worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment