Friday, July 16, 2010

How To Tell People They Sound Racist



I chose this video because it has a profound impact on me when I saw it the first time. The ability of the author to clearly and meaningfully articulate the difference between what people say/do and who they are is rare to see. His passion shows and it's fun to watch people with passion.

I have used online videos in my work with students. When I worked with the leadership program at Coe many of our sessions were supplemented by online videos about the FISH! Philosophy and Ben Zander. The ability to find a vast array of videos quickly to demonstrate different ideas is simply amazing. Now that tv networks are posting clips of shows it's very easy to be current and use new material on a weekly basis.

I have uploaded a few videos for different reasons. One is of my wife's family cottage in order to share it with my family (and for posterity) and another was a video I made with students for Pres Ball a few years ago (it's still on youtube). With both videos, I was able to reach the intended audience quickly and easily.

1 comment:

  1. I appreciate this video. I think the simplicity of the analogy helps. Anger directed to someone taking your wallet is something everyone can comprehend. It opens the door for a larger conversation with various correlations. It would be interesting to see after watching the video what other analogies students could develop for educating peers on racism and telling people they sound racist.

    ReplyDelete